SEYMOUR VRI CLUB HISTORY
Was officially opened on the 30th October 1948 as a recreational club for Victorian Railway Workers and is situated at the corner of Anzac Avenue and Goulburn Street, Seymour.
Invitations were to the Official Opening were extended to Seymour, Euroa, Broadford, Kilmore, Yea and Nagambie Bowls Clubs whilst individual invitations were extended to Mr Fred Grimwade MLA, The Victorian Railways Commissioners, Councillors of the Seymour Riding and all helpers in the formation of the green.
Mr Gordon Dowling was elected the inaugural Seymour VRI Bowling Club President and unanimously awarded the first Life Membership of the club on the 27th August 1948 for having rendered special service in designing and construction of the green. We will be forever indebted to the foresight and efforts of those formation members.
At the 1952 Annual General Meeting a motion was passed by those members present to name the pavilion (clubhouse) the Gordon Dowling Pavilion in honour of our Foundation President 1948-51.
The club is currently affiliated with the Central Bowls Division who are affiliated with the Central Goulburn Murray Bowls Region
Seymour VRI has a proud and successful Pennant Bowls history and has won 17 Division One and 5 Division Two titles as well as representing the former RVBA Group 1 at the State Pennant Championships on one occasion. The most recent CBD Pennant Championships being 2017 Division One and 2013 Division Two. Rather than having two sides compete against each other in the CBD Division 2 Pennant Competition the club in the 2013-14 season entered one of those sides in the neighbouring Goulburn Valley Division 5 Pennant Competition which they duly won and were promoted to Division 4 for the 2014-15 season
We are associated with the VRI Institute to whom we are grateful for their ongoing support
Visiting bowlers and new members are always most welcome